We are proud to insure the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) account as of Sept. 1, 2017. ERS administers insurance and related benefits for eligible employees and their dependents under the Texas Group Benefits Program (GBP).
ERS participants covered under HealthSelect of Texas® and Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM (HealthSelect) benefit plans access care through a custom point of service network using Blue EssentialsSM providers in all 254 counties in Texas.
Important Information About Participants Transitioning to HealthSelect of Texas
Effective Sept. 1, 2021, HMO plans will no longer be an enrollment option under the Texas GBP. All current subscribers and dependents enrolled in one of the HMO plans will be automatically enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas, unless they elect otherwise during their summer enrollment period. Learn more
ERS Participant Plans
HealthSelect of Texas (In Texas)
- Participants must select a PCP participating in the Blue Essentials provider network.
- Referrals are required to see Blue Essential providers for in-network benefits.
- Referrals are not required for the following:
- Covered vision care, including routine and diagnostic eye exams
- OB/GYN visits
- Mental health counseling
- Chiropractic visits
- Occupational therapy and physical therapy
- Virtual visits through MDLIVE and Doctor on Demand, urgent care centers and convenience care clinics.
Consumer Directed HealthSelect (In Texas)
- Participants have open access to providers in the Blue Essentials provider network for in-network benefits.
- PCP selection or referrals are not required when accessing Blue Essentials providers for in-network benefits.
HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect Out-of-State
- ERS participants living outside of Texas have access to a PPO network under Blue Card.
- This plan does not require PCP selection and does not require referrals.
For the above plans, refer to the Prior Authorization Lists for Designated Groups page under Utilization Management - Prior Authorizations and Predeterminations for lists of services that require prior authorization or referrals (if needed).
HealthSelect Secondary 65+
- ERS Retirees and Participants are eligible for Medicare.
How to Identify ERS Participants
- The plan names HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect will be printed directly on the ID card.
- Some ERS participants in Texas will have a unique network ID labeled HME.
How to be an In-Network Provider for ERS Participants
- Must have privileges at one of the Blue Essentials/HealthSelect participating hospitals (unless inpatient admissions are uncommon or not required for the provider's specialty or provider has someone who will admit on their behalf)
- Must have a valid National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
- Must sign a Blue Essentials agreement
If you are interested in participating, please visit the Network Participation – How to Join page and follow the steps.
Mental Health Services
BCBSTX manages mental health benefits and services for HealthSelect plans, including network management. Learn more
Telemedicine and Virtual Visits
HealthSelect participants have benefits for telemedicine/telehealth and virtual visits.
Medical and mental health virtual visits are available through Doctor on Demand and MDLIVE. Use the Availity® Provider Portal or your preferred vendor to check eligibility and benefits.
Use the Availity® Provider Portal or your preferred vendor to check eligibility and benefits. You can also refer to Section 5, Schedule of Benefits and Coverage, in the plan’s Master Plan Benefits Documents for more information.
Submitting Telemedicine/Telehealth and Virtual Visit Claims
For details on submitting telemedicine/telehealth claims, refer to our Telemedicine and Telehealth Services page.
Outpatient Clinical Laboratory
All Plan providers should refer members to in-network lab providers for outpatient lab services. To locate participating labs in the Plan network, visit Provider Finder® on the BCBSTX website.
Statewide In-Network Clinical Labs for HealthSelect Participants include:
- Clinical Pathology Laboratory (CPL) — For locations or questions, contact CPL at 1-800-595-1275 or visit CPL's website
- LabCorp — For locations or questions contact LabCorp at 1-888-LAB-CORP or visit LabCorp's website.
- Quest Diagnostics, Inc — For locations or questions contact Quest at 1-888-277-8772 or visit Quest's website .
Refer to Provider Finder for additional participating clinical laboratory providers.
If you have any questions regarding the ERS plans, please contact your Network Management office.
- Blue Essentials, Blue Advantage HMO, Blue Premier and MyBlue Health - Provider Manual — Refer to Section M for ERS
- HealthSelect of Texas Quick Reference Guide
- Consumer Directed HealthSelect of Texas Quick Reference Guide
- HealthSelect of Texas & Consumer Directed HealthSelect Key Contact List
- Sample ERS Participant ID Cards
- HealthSelect of Texas® Provider Finder
- Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM Provider Finder
- HealthSelectSM Out-of-State Provider Finder
- HealthSelectSM Secondary Provider Finder
- HealthSelect of Texas Prior Authorization Lists
- Mental Health Forms